An ESL activity for practicing listening and noticing subtle pronunciation differences.
- Write down at least 10 recent vocabulary words on the board
- Write one word under it with a similar spelling or pronunciation for a total of 20 words
- Number and letter them like: 1A, 1B, 2A, 2B, etc.
- Read one of the words from the board
- Have the students raise their hands to say which number and letter
Alternatively you can have your students write the first ten words on the board and then write a second word below it. The words used can be from their lesson.