Learn how to teach your students scanning and skimming
To teach scanning:
- Select some text from a story or your book.
- Have your students look at the material.
- Give them 10 seconds to take a look at the pictures, titles, headlines, boldfaced words, etc.
- After 10 seconds have them flip it over so that they can't see it.
- Ask them questions about what they read, saw, etc.
- Ask them, "What do you think it is about?"
- Try it again and give them 15 seconds to look at the material.
- Have them flip it over and again ask them questions about what they gathered.
This is mainly used as an introduction to reading. This would probably only last 2-5 minutes at the most before continuing on with the reading.