Learn how to use a dictation to teach reading
This activity helps students focus on their reading.
This ESL activity really helps the students focus on what's being read. It gives you a chance to emphasize new vocabulary words and it provides them with a model when they later read. To do this dictation activity:
- Select some text or some small story from the student book.
- Read the text or the story out loud.
- Emphasize certain words by saying them louder, quieter or two times. It's best to underline these words in your book first.
- As you emphasize certain words have your students underline them in their books.
- Continue until done.
- After you have finished ask your students which words you emphasized. Start from the first. Have your students tell you which was first, second, etc.