Learn how to make a phonogram for teaching phonics
For this ESL activity you'll need letters. These letters I made from sticking letters onto small pieces of wood. A phonogram is made up of different speech sounds (phonemes), like "ch".
- Divide your class into groups or teams.
- Give each team a set of letters.
- Say, but don't spell a sound, like "ing".
- Have your students spell it.
- Have them raise their hands and say it together.
- You can give the first team to say it correctly a point.
It helps to use what they have been recently taught. So if they were recently taught, "_er", "st_", "ee", etc. use those. It will help if it is familiar to them.