"Back to Back" is an ESL activity to use when teaching phonics
This is a good activity that involves listening. Here it is used to identify different phonograms from the lesson. You can write these on the board to help them out. To do this activity for teaching phonics:
- Write phonograms from your lesson on the board, for example, "a_e, ee, u_e, o_e".
- Divide your class into two teams and two lines facing the board.
- Stand behind your students so that they cannot see you.
- Say one of the above phonograms.
- Have the two students in the front spell it and say it.
- Give a point to the one who says it first correctly.
- Have those students go to the back of the line.